History Of Pacific Fishermen Shipyard
Pacific Fishermen Shipyard was founded in 1946 by 400 Norwegian heritage fishermen as a co‐op style shipyard on the site of the 1890’s Ballard Marine Railway Co., where Seattle founding father Joshua Green built his sternwheeler Bailey Gatzert. The shipyard was known for the world’s largest diesel tug the 120′ Mahoe, built in 1925. Wooden halibut schooners and minesweepers later converted to the Calypso by Jacques Cousteau and the Wild Goose by John Wayne. Pacific Fishermen continued construction of wooden 36’ launches for the U.S.C.&G. Survey (NOAA) research vessel Surveyor and 54’ to 58’ Ed Monk designed wooden seiners, including Northern Light II (Cinnamon Girl), Jerilyn, Mary D and Cape Falcon for Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co. (A&P).
Joshua Green's Sternwheeler Bailey Gatzert
In the 1960’s a series of 86’ Ben Jensen designed steel crab vessels were built in partnership with Flohr Metal Fabrication including the F/V SEA ERN, TEMPEST, SHELLFISH, VIKING QUEEN, TEEJIN, AMATULI, DAUNTLESS, TUGIDAK, TUXEDNI, and VALIANT for seafood companies including Trident and Icicle. A series of 92’ house‐forward, whaleback designs by Ben Jensen followed including the F/V SEAVIEW, CONFIDENCE, ENDEAVOR, RESOLUTION, ADVENTURE and DISCOVERY (ELIZABETH F). Other major accomplishments include acquisition of the assets of Rowe Machine Works in 1985 including all deck machinery plans and patterns with adjacent machine shop and lift dock. The assets of Lunde Electric Company were purchased in 2003 with relocation to the shipyard as PFI Marine Electric
PFI Marine Electric maintains a local mobile base, outfitted with all the materials required to effectively perform electrical repairs in the Puget Sound region at local shipyards and dockside facilities. PFI Marine Electric worked closely with the owner of the 1968 Marco 94’ series king crabber Kevleen K to retrofit a NightWatch shipboard alarm system. PFI Marine Electric is the local dealer for NightWatch monitoring systems, and has several recent installations including the Northern Marine yachts After Eight and Belle Bri and the Pierce County ferry Christine Anderson.
Today, Pacific Fishermen Shipyard and PFI Marine Electric are still heavily involved in the fishing industry with full support in Dutch Harbor, while bringing their expertise to the commercial passenger, workboat and large yacht sectors with drydocking and repowering to meet USCG requirements and new stringent international MARPOL and EPA emission regulations.